Thursday, July 06, 2006

Democracy by Stephen Gyllenhaal

"Democracy"

"I windshield shimmer her
jaunt down Wilshire Blvd.
just west of Rodeo Drive,
her beauty all past benz
and maseratis
legs,
dear god, she wears
nothing
below her belt
(pudenda v
as clear as black)
her dancing joints,
no skirt, no pants,
I?m lost. A prostitute
on drugs?
And brown as Africa
this deep princess lost
just past our dawn
as business men retreat to work
and I drive east,
her limbs a puppet?s gift?
no
my mistake up close
a mini leather, lace and gold confederacy
are mocking my slave owner?s naked dreams
as she, amphetamine dressed, and graceful
stutters on past grinding gods
of glass and stone and stainless steel
her lantern dim held humbly high to bless me, god,
for I have liberty from what I feel."

-Excerpt from "Claptrap:Notes from Hollywood"

1 Comments:

Blogger Elena said...

I LOVE this poem, it's lustful, sweet and hits HW home, thanks for posting it, Kendra.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home